Being Prepared for Winter Weather
Winter storms can bring freezing rain, ice, snow, high winds, or a combination of these conditions. They can cause power outages, make roads and walkways very dangerous, and can affect services on campus. Planning and preparing can help you manage the impact of a winter storm and keep you, your friends, and your family safe.
Here are a few friendly reminders and resources on staying safe this winter:
- Weather Forecast: Know the weather forecast by checking local news channels or visiting UW-Madison’s weather and climate website.
- Parking: If you park on campus, know the campus’ policy on how winter weather impacts parking. For more information, please visit UW-Madison Transportation Services online.
- Winter Clothing: Be prepared for winter weather by picking the right type of clothing to maximize warmth. Our partners at University Health Services has some great resources.
- Employee Guidelines: Be sure you are aware of inclement weather guidelines for employees. For more information, click here.
- Class Cancellation: The chancellor is responsible for determining if classes will be canceled or postponed due to inclement weather. Work with your professor in the event you are unable to attend classes due to inclement weather.
- Stay Informed: Be sure to follow UW-Madison and UW-Madison Police on Twitter for the latest information on winter-related closings or changes to campus operations.
Stay safe and warm this winter!