Safety When You’re Home for the Holidays
It’s hard to believe, but the holidays are right around the corner! If you’re like many on the UW-Madison campus, that means you’ll be heading home or traveling very soon. If you’re leaving town, UWPD has some advice to ensure your personal property stays safe and secure while you’re away.
A little preparation and planning can go a long way in ensuring your personal items don’t get into the wrong hands.
- Lock your apartment and office doors and windows before leaving for the holidays.
- Burglars frequently target cash, laptops, bikes, jewelry, and electronics. Don’t leave attractive items out in plain sight. If possible, store them in a locked drawer, closet or interior room. Better yet, take small valuables with when you leave.
- Close your curtains and shades and set a timer for lamps.
- Temporarily stop mail and newspaper delivery.
- Let your landlord, property owner, or co-worker know how long you’ll be gone and how you can be reached in the event of a problem.
- Record serial numbers for expensive items, cameras, bicycles, etc.
- If you own a moped, remember that it can’t be stored inside a university residence hall. Make sure to use an external locking device around a tire to prevent theft.
- To help prevent the risk of accidental fire, make sure to unplug large electrical appliances, including computers, stereos, or microwaves.
From all of us at UWPD, we wish you the best of luck on your finals and we hope you have a happy and safe holiday season!