Records Requests

Under state law, records generated by the UW–Madison Police Department may be subject to release. All open records requests should be made through the Records section in the Support Services Division.

PLEASE NOTE: Police reports can be requested AFTER an initial appearance has happened within that case. Police reports include all documents, video, audio, or any documentation related to your case.

Use the form below to file a records request online. Try to be as specific as possible in your request. The department processes and releases all records in a reasonable and timely manner, in compliance with the State of Wisconsin’s open records laws. We will notify the requester when the request has been completed.

  • Date Format: MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • Date Format: MM slash DD slash YYYY

Reports cost $0.25 per page. The Records section will quote the total cost of the transaction at the time of the request. All associated costs may be paid via check or cash.

UWPD prefers all records requests to be submitted via our online form above. However, requests may also be submitted by email at Requests may also be made in person at UWPD’s main headquarters (1429 Monroe Street, Madison, WI). If you have questions, please call the UWPD Records Unit at (608) 262-4332.

Accident Reports

The UW–Madison Police Department no longer maintains a database of State of Wisconsin DT4000 accident reports and no longer provides copies of completed State accident report forms to requestors.

Requestors of this form are advised to contact the Department of Transportation – Wisconsin State Patrol Division, where they may request a copy of a report.

All DT4000 accident reports completed by UW–Madison Police Department officers will be available from the Wisconsin State Patrol when they are complete, generally seven to ten days after the incident.

Although completed DT4000 accident forms will no longer be available, the UW–Madison Police Department will continue to maintain, and provide upon request, completed, non-reportable accident forms.

More information about accidents and accident reports can be found at the Wisconsin Department of Transportation website.