Heading Home for the Holidays?
The holidays will be here before you know it! If you’re leaving town, UWPD has some advice to ensure your personal property stays safe and secure while you’re away.
A little preparation and planning can go a long way in ensuring your personal items don’t get into the wrong hands.
- Lock apartment and office doors and windows before leaving for the holidays.
- Burglars frequently target cash, compact discs, laptops, bikes, jewelry, video games, bikes, stereos and televisions. Don’t leave attractive items out in plain sight. If possible, store them in a locked drawer, closet or interior room. Or try to take small valuables with when you leave.
- Draw curtains and shades and set a timer for lamps.
- Temporarily stop mail and newspaper delivery.
- Let a landlord, property owner or co-worker know how long you’ll be gone and how you can be reached in the event of a problem.
- Record serial numbers for expensive items, such as VCRs and bikes. Property can be also be engraved with a driver’s license number. Engravers can be checked out at the central library branch. Victims are far more likely to recover stolen property if items are engraved.
- If you own a scooter, remember that it cannot be stored inside a university residence hall. Make sure to use an external locking device around a tire to prevent theft.
- To help prevent the risk of accidental fire, make sure to unplug large electrical appliances, including computers, stereos or microwaves.
From all of us at UWPD, we hope you have a happy and safe holiday season!