Campus Security Authority

The Clery Act defines “Campus Security Authority” as:

  • A campus police department or a campus security department of an institution.
    • At UW–Madison, this is UWPD.
  • Any individual(s) who have responsibility for campus security, but who do not constitute a campus police department or security department.
    • Examples include all individuals, whether student, employee or volunteer, who provide security or monitor access to any campus facility (e.g. parking lots, a library, an athletic facility, a dorm), groups contracted by UW–Madison to provide event security and members of a safety escort service.
  • Any individual or organization specified in UW’s statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.
    • Our policy states that criminal offenses should be reported to the University of Wisconsin Police Department, the Dean of Students Office and the Division of Student Life. Employees in these offices are generally CSAs.
  • An official of the institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities. This includes, but is not limited to, student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedingsAn “official” is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the institution.
    • This includes officials (not support staff) whose functions involve relationships with students. Additional examples include: faculty or staff who act as advisors to student organizations; staff in the student unions; Deans and Assistant/Associate Deans who have significant responsibility for students activity; Athletic Director, Assistant/Associate Athletic Directors, coaches/assistant coaches; staff in student activities/resource offices; Housing Directors, Assistant/Associate Directors, House Fellows, Residence Life Coordinators.

Who is NOT a CSA?

  • Examples of individuals who do not have significant responsibility for student activities are as follows: a faculty member who does not have any responsibility for student and campus activity outside of the classroom; clerical or cafeteria staff who do not supervise student employees; administrative staff not responsible for students (e.g. payroll); facilities or maintenance staff; medical staff who only provide medical care to individual students.
  • Pastoral or professional counselors are exempt. However, to remain exempt, the pastoral or professional counselor must be acting in the role of pastoral or professional counselor when they receive a report. If an individual has a pastoral or professional counseling license, but is not employed by UW in that capacity, she or he may be CSA.