Sexual Assault – 10/17/14
October 17, 2014, 12:00 AM
Members of the UW-Madison Community,
You are receiving this Crime Warning as part of UW-Madison’s commitment to providing campus-area crime information, in compliance with the federal Clery Act (Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act).
On Thursday, October 23, 2014, UW-Madison was made aware of a sexual assault that occurred in an on-campus residence hall on Friday, October 17, 2014. The incident was not reported to the UW-Madison Police Department, and is not currently being investigated by police. No other information is available.
If you’ve been sexually assaulted, tell someone – there are resources available to help you. Please visit uwpd.wisc.edu/tellus for more information. Although no measure is failsafe, here are some protective measures you might consider to increase your personal safety and the safety of those around you:
- Make sure you have consent. Consent is a clear and freely given yes, not the absence of a no.
- People who are incapacitated by alcohol or drugs cannot give consent.
- Practice being assertive about your boundaries.
- If saying NO or STOP is too hard, consider creating a diversion so you can leave.
- Get your own drinks; don’t let someone continually fill your cup or leave your drink unattended.
For more information on the Clery Act, and why you’re receiving this federally mandated Crime Warning, please visit www.ed.gov/admins/lead/safety/campus.html.
The location shown is approximate and may not be accurate.