UWPD Invites Public Comment for CALEA Accreditation Assessment
On October 12-14, a team of assessors from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA) will be examining all aspects of the UW-Madison Police Department. This virtual assessment will include an evaluation of policies and procedures, management, operations, and support services.
This accreditation is a voluntary process – verification by the team that UWPD meets the Commission’s state-of-the-art standards is a highly prized recognition of law enforcement professional excellence. As part of the accreditation process, UWPD must comply with 460 standards in order to gain accredited status.
As part of the virtual on-site assessment, we invite campus partners and members of our community to provide comments on UWPD’s compliance with applicable standards or other significant issues. Here’s how you can share comments:
- In-person: On October 12, 2020, starting at 3:30 p.m., you may speak directly with the CALEA Assessors via video conference. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a time slot. We ask that you keep your comments to 10 minutes or less, and you must address UWPD’s ability to comply with the CALEA standards.
- By phone: On October 12, 2020, between 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., the public may call (608) 265-4264 to speak directly to the CALEA Assessors. We ask that you keep your comments to 10 minutes or less, and you must address UWPD’s ability to comply with the CALEA standards.
- Online: Fill out this online form to share your comments online. Select “Agency Comments” from the subject down-down menu, and be sure to include “UW-Madison Police Department” as the agency/organization.
- By mail: Those wishing to offer written comments may write to:
13575 Heathcote Boulevard
Gainesville, VA 22030-2215
The CALEA assessment team is composed of public safety practitioners from similar, but out of state agencies. The assessors will review written material and interview individuals in order to verify that compliance has been maintained.
The assessors are:
- Deputy Chief Zandral Washington, University of Alabama at Birmingham Police Department (team lead)
- Assistant Chief Kevin Hall, Monroe Community College Department of Public Safety
Once the CALEA assessors complete their review of the agency, they report back to the full Commission, which will then decide if UWPD’s accredited status will be renewed.
Accreditation is for four years, during which the agency must submit annual reports attesting continued compliance with those standards under which it was initially accredited.
For more information regarding the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA), please visit their website. You may also write to the Commission at:
13575 Heathcote Boulevard
Gainesville, Virginia 22030-2215