Halloween is quickly approaching and the annual Freakfest celebration will be held on October 27th on State Street. There will be a variety of entertainment for all age groups with multiple music stages playing throughout the event. If you are planning on attending any of the many Halloween festivities in the UW-Madison campus area, we ask that you consider these simple guidelines for a safe and fun weekend:
- When choosing your costume, take into consideration the weather — specifically the temperatures throughout the day and evening.
- Attend the festivities as a group and do not walk alone.
- Have a plan of where to meet your group in the event you get separated.
- Don’t leave your beverage unattended at any time, and if you set your beverage down and leave it; do not drink it.
- Utilize public transportation — but be prepared for an extended wait for taxis/Uber/Lyft.
- UW Staff and UW Students can utilize SAFEWALK services. SAFEWALK will be available from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. SAFEWALK can be contacted via phone at (608)262-5000.
- Stay away from poorly lit areas and avoid taking shortcuts down dark alleyways or paths; instead choose well-lit, heavily traveled sidewalks.
- If you are in an emergency situation, call 911.
- If your friend or someone else you come across needs help don’t hesitate to call the police. Remember UWPD has an alcohol amnesty policy for anyone that calls for help for a friend or acquaintance.
The most important tip we can give you: trust your instincts! If you feel something isn’t quite right, don’t take chances — change your plans or call for help. We hope your 2018 Halloween experience on campus is a fun and safe one!